Sunday, November 7, 2010

Rush - The Fountain Of Lamneth renderings & Lyrics



Rush - The Fountain of Lamneth is Track 5 of Side 2 of Rush’s 3rd record, Caress Of Steel.

Caress Of Steel

I. In the Valley

I am born
I am me
I am new
I am free
Look at me
I am young
Sight unseen
Life unsung


My eyes have just been opened
And they're open very wide
Images around me
Don't identify inside
Just one blur I recognize
The one that soothes and feeds
My way of life is easy
And as simple are my needs


Yet my eyes are drawn toward
The mountain in the east
Fascinates and captivates
Gives my heart no peace
The mountain holds the sunrise
In the prison of the night
'Til bursting forth from rocky chains
The valley floods with light


Living one long sunrise
For to me all things are new
I've never watched the sky grow pale
Or strolled through fields of dew
I do not know of dust to dust
I live from breath to breath
I live to climb that mountain
To the Fountain of Lamneth


Yet my eyes are drawn toward
The mountain in the east
Fascinates and captivates
Gives my heart no peace
The mountain holds the sunrise
In the prison of the night
'Til bursting forth from rocky chains
The valley floods with light


II. Didacts and Narpets (and the shouting may not be perfect...)

Stay! Go!
Work! No!
Learn! Live!
Earn! Give!
Stay or fight? What's right?
Listen!


III. No One At the Bridge

Crying back to consciousness
The coldness grips my skin
The sky is pitching violently
Drawn by shrieking winds
Seaspray blurs my vision
Waves roll by so fast
Save my ship of freedom
I'm lashed helpless to the mast


Remembering when first I held
The wheel in my own hands
I took the helm so eagerly
And sailed for distant lands
But now the sea's too heavy
And I just...I just don't understand
Why must my crew desert me?
When I need...I need a guiding hand...


Call out for direction
And there's no one there to steer
Shout out for salvation
But there's no one there to hear
Cry out supplication
For the maelstrom is near
Scream out desperation
But no one cares to hear


IV. Panacea

The whiteness of confusion
Is unfolding from my mind
I stare around in wonder
Have I left my life behind?


I catch the scent of ambergris
And turn my head, surprised
My gaze is caught and held and I
Am helpless...mesmerized


Panacea, liquid grace
Oh let me touch your fragile face
Enchantment falls around me
And I know I cannot leave


Here's a meaning for my life
A shelter from the storm
Pacify my troubles with
Her body, soft and warm


Naked in our unity
A smile for every tear
Gentle hands that promise me
Comfort through the years


Yet I know I must be gone
Before the light of dawn


Panacea, passion pure
I can't resist your gentle lure
My heart will lie beside you
And my wandering body grieves


V. Bacchus Plateau

Another endless day
Silhouettes of grey
Another glass of wine
Drink with eyes that shine
To days without that chill at morning
Long Nights, time out of mind


Draw another goblet
From the cask of '43
Crimson misty memory
Hazy glimpse of me
Give me back my wonder
I've something more to give
I guess it doesn't matter
There's not much more to live


Another foggy dawn
The mountain almost gone
Another doubtful fear
The road is not so clear
My soul grows ever weary
And the end is ever near


VI. The Fountain

Look! The mist is rising
And the sun is peaking through
See the steps grow lighter
As I reach their final few
Hear the dancing waters
I must be drawing near
Feel, my heart is pounding
With embattled hope and fear


Now, at last I fall before
The Fountain of Lamneth
I thought I would be singing
But I'm tired...out of breath
Many journeys end here
But, the secret's told the same:
Life is just a candle, and a dream
Must give it flame


The key, the end, the answer
Stripped of their disguise
Still it's all confusion
And tears spring to my eyes
Though I've reached a signpost
It's really not the end
Like Old Sol behind the mountain
I'll be coming up again.


I'm in motion
I am still
I am crying
I am...still.
I'm together
I'm apart
I'm forever
At the start
Still... I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts